I finally come to the last days of my holiday in Turkey and Manchester. Life gets pretty hectic sometimes and it has taken me a while to finish up these holiday posts!
You can immediately see that we are in England and not Turkey from the colour of the sky! We arrived home from Turkey at about midnight and I left the following morning for Manchester.
I had to take a picture of the Metrolink given my love of trains and transport.
Manchester also has its own big wheel similar to the London Eye. It is situated in Exchange Square and is called The Wheel of Manchester.
We all went to have lunch at The Old Wellington Inn. My Dad and I have been coming to this pub for years. It is quite famous because it has moved so many times. It was built in 1552 and in 1974 it was moved to make place for the Arndale shopping centre. In 1996 it sustained great damage due to the IRA bomb and it was rebuilt in its new location in 1997.
I feel really lucky when I think back to those bombs and that feeling was compounded on this trip to Manchester when I met up with my old friend Nina (she wouldn't let me take any pictures of her!). In February 1996, Canary Wharf was bombed the day after I had met my friend there for lunch and one of our favourite places in Manchester was bombed just a couple of months later. The most freaky thing is that Nina had stood on the very spot in Manchester the day before the bomb in June 1996. "There but for the grace of God go I" is all I can say about that.
All too soon it was time to go home. I took this picture because I found the contrast of old and new quite interesting (with the Victorian architecture on the left and the circa-70s architecture on the right). Of course, there is the grey sky and the power lines to remind us that Manchester was the first major industrial town in the world (to me, Manchester still has such an industrial feel which, strangely enough, I find quite beautiful).
A quick picture at the end of the day of my step-Mum, my Dad and I.
0 comments:
Post a Comment